Oven Baked S'mores
When I think of summer, I think of warm, sunny days relaxing at the lake. I think of forests, and tents, and sleeping bags. I think of cool, cozy nights around crackling campfires. I think of melty chocolate, gooey marshmallows, and crisp graham crackers. When I think of summer, I think of s'mores.
As an apartment dwelling vegan, though, I thought that this summer would be a s'more-less one. I don't have a place to have a fire at home, and when I go camping, I'm not going to want to eat gelatin-filled marshmallows and dairy-filled milk chocolate bars. Sad face!
It's as if the two were made for eachother, and they were absolutely, one hundred percent made for s'mores. There is no way that they weren't, because together, they create the most delicious s'mores I've ever had the pleasure of eating.
The chocolate is a refreshing change from the dark chocolate that us vegans are usually stuck with. Although it's dairy free, it's melty, creamy, sweet, and velvety. It's perfect s'mores material.
The marshmallows are just as gooey, chewy, and delicious as any non-vegan marshmallows I've ever tasted. Honestly, I think they're better than the run of the mill ones I used to eat.
And, who the heck needs a campfire, anyway? I decided to try my luck at making these tasty treats in the oven, and they came out marvelously.
So marvelously, in fact, that when a couple of friends came over the other day, Josh and I fed them these delicious little morsels. When I asked them what they thought, they said, "They taste like s'mores!"
If we were able to convince these (very) non-vegan guys that these vegan s'mores taste like, well, s'mores, I think we're doing something right.
So what are you waiting for? Get to the kitchen and take a bite of these Oven Baked S'mores!
Oven Baked S'mores
8 cinnamon graham cracker squares
4 Dandies vegan marshmallows
1 bar (4 squares) Enjoy Life boomCHOCOboom ricemilk chocolate
- Gather ingredients and set oven to "broil" at 525 degrees F.
- In shallow baking pan, or on lined cookie sheet, place four graham cracker squares.
- Set one marshmallow on each graham cracker square.
- Place pan in oven on center rack, and cook for 3-5 minutes. *KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THINGS!*(Do not leave the room at this time, as the marshmallows will burn quickly once they begin to brown.)
- Once marshmallows have started to brown, remove from oven.
- Using a spatula, transfer hot marshmallow topped grahams to a plate.
- Carefully place one square of ricemilk chocolate atop each marshmallow, firmly pressing down until marshmallow spreads out on graham cracker. Chocolate will begin to melt, so act quickly!
- Place one graham cracker square atop each piece of chocolate, and there you have it!
Ooey, gooey, melty, chocolatey, and delicious oven-baked s'mores! No campfire necessary!
Did you grow up eating s'mores like I did? How did these vegan ones compare to the s'mores of your past? Comment below and let me know what you think!