Welcome to Lifestyles of the Poor and Vegan!  

My name is Kristi.

I am: A constant work in progress, a wife, a dog-mom, a lover of adventure, and an aspiring writer.

This is my adventure log, recipe book, photo album, and more. 

I hope this blog inspires you to explore new places, try new foods, and experience new things.

Feel free to leave a comment or follow me on social media!

Spontaneity: Part Two

Spontaneity: Part Two

(Have you read PART ONE?)

It was a... payphone!  

A payphone, you guys! An ancient, decrepit, and ugly payphone, weathered by time and years of bad weather. It stood there at the edge of the dusty parking lot, looking like something straight out of (the original) Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It was utterly horrifying. Although, now I'm wishing I had taken a moment to get a quick picture for photographic evidence. Then again, who knows how that would have ended? There was some seriously creepy stuff going on at that place.

From that point on, things only got worse. We sped out of the parking lot, towards what we hoped would be our sanctuary after a very long day. Along the way, we passed street after street of rundown homes with broken chain link fences lining their surrounding properties. There were stray animals everywhere. Old cars sitting up on blocks littered front yards. We watched in horror as we were passed by a derelict prison bus, escorted by an equally worn out police car. This did not bode well for the rest of the trip. I gently mentioned to Josh that maybe this wasn't the best place for us, and I suggested that we reconsider our sleeping accommodations.

"We have to at least check-in at our site. There's a surprise for you!" I pressed for more information, but Josh didn't budge.  We just trekked on toward the KOA with mixed feelings. We would check it out, and if we didn't feel safe, we would promptly check out and find another place to stay. If it was nice, we would stay the night.

After passing a barrage of other unsettling sights, we arrived at the campground - Our KOA in shining armor! It looked surprisingly nice, especially compared to its surroundings! The registration building seemed to have been newly updated, and the grounds looked clean and well cared for. I, however, just couldn't get past the location. Josh went inside to check-in while I stayed in the car with Suzie. It wasn't long before he was back. "They were nice. Although, I'm a little grumpy. There is no surprise. There was a place on the online registration form where you could enter special requests, so I requested that they have a bouquet of flowers waiting for you when we checked in. That's why I said we needed to at least come check-in. They didn't do it." He was not happy. I told him that as cheesy as it might sound, it's the thought that counts, and I truly did appreciate the effort. It was a very sweet gesture, even if it didn't work out the way he planned. I thanked him, and we were on our way.

Since the grounds looked quite nice, and the people milling around seemed friendly, we decided to venture in and check out our assigned campsite. We found it quickly. There, among a sea of giant RVs, was a tiny patch of grass, complete with a picnic table, fire pit, and...

an occupied tent.

There was someone already camping at our site! At least, that's what it seemed like. Upon further inspection, we realized that this person was indeed on their own site. It just so happened that his site was directly on top of ours. The sites were so tiny and close together that there was not room for us to both park our car, and set up a tent, and there was definitely no privacy. As we had pulled into our site, the man in the site directly next to ours came out of his tent, and stared at us as if we were encroaching upon his territory. I mean, we kind of were, but it wasn't our fault! We had no idea that we would be sharing a patch of grass with a stranger whose tent filled the majority of the space. 

It seemed as though this KOA camping idea just wasn't meant to be. Josh and I looked at each other and groaned. After nearly 25 hours of driving, we were exhausted and hangry. All we wanted was to spread out, stuff our faces with a hot meal, and sleep. That, and maybe find a restroom. At last, we threw our hands in the air and said, "Screw it! We're getting a hotel." 

Click here to read part three! 


Spontaneity: Part Three

Spontaneity: Part Three

Spontaneity: Part One

Spontaneity: Part One