Confetti Cabbage Soup
Not only is this soup delicious, it also packs quite the punch in terms of health benefits. Chock full of veggies, vitamins, and minerals, there's just no beating this delicious, warming soup in the dead of winter. Give it a try! Before you know it, your stomach and immune system will both be thanking you!
Our main ingredients (cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes) each yield many nutritional benefits.
Cabbage is wonderful for detoxification and digestion, thanks to it's high levels of dietary fiber.
Carrots, which are full of antioxidants, may reduce the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Bell peppers are packed with beta carotene, which our bodies convert to Vitamin A during digestion, as well as B vitamins and vitamin C.
Onions are very nutrient dense, containing manganese, vitamins C and B-6, and calcium. According to Medical News Today, the consumption of onions may "lower the risk of several types of cancer, improve mood, and maintain the health of skin and hair". They can even lower LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels! It's no wonder that these nutritional powerhouses have been used for centuries in holistic remedies.
Celery is another great source of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. Research suggests that eating celery may lower blood pressure, prevent cancer, and may even reduce vision degeneration related to aging.
Tomatoes are a rich source of vitamins A and C, as well as folic acid. They also contain choline, which is very important for muscle movement, memory, and learning. Research suggests that eating tomatoes may even reduce the risk of breast cancer!
So there you have it! Scientific evidence, AKA, your excuse to eat bowls and bowls of this tasty soup with no regrets! Enjoy!
Confetti Cabbage Soup
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth (I prefer low/no sodium, natural broths with no preservatives, such as Pacific brand. You could also try making your own - I'll work on getting a recipe posted soon!
- 4 Cups Water
- 1/4 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne
- 1/4 Teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Head of Cabbage, Chopped (About 4 Cups)
- 6 Medium/Large Carrots, Chopped (About 4 Cups)
- 3 Sweet Bell Peppers, Diced (If you're feeling fancy, choose 3 different colors. This adds to the fun "confetti" look that I love.)
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 8 Medium/Large Celery Hearts, Diced (About 2 Cups)
- 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes (or 2 Large Fresh Tomatoes, Seeded and Diced)
- Apple Cider Vinegar (Optional)
- Add vegetable broth to large pot.
- Place on stove over medium heat.
- Add garlic, paprika, cayenne, and Old Bay to broth. Stir well.
- Chop/dice vegetables and add to pot as you go, stirring after each addition.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Simmer over medium heat for an hour and a half to two hours, or until vegetables are soft.
- Serve it up while it's nice and hot! If you like, give your soup a little extra kick by adding a splash of apple cider vinegar to your bowl. (This is my favorite part!)
Complement this hot and delicious soup with some nice, warm, flaky bread. Or, create a tasty dichotomy by serving it up beside a cool, crisp salad. Either way, I hope you enjoy it!
Medical News Today: What Are the Health Benefits of - Carrots, Celery, Onions, Tomatoes WebMD: 12 Powerhouse Vegetables You Should Be Eating