¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo! Poor and Vegan Pico de Gallo
I came up with this recipe for Pico de Gallo on the fly, and it turned out surprisingly delicious and refreshing! I hope it adds a bit of pizazz to your Cinco de Mayo festivities.
(Or, if you're like me, it will just make you really happy while you sit at home on the couch and watch Netflix while stuffing your face. Do what you've gotta do. I don't judge.)
I ate this pico with every meal for a week or so, and it was positively glorious! I made a huge bowl of it, and kept it in the fridge to add to different dishes throughout the week. I served it with tortilla chips, quesadillas, and rice. I even put it on top of salads. It went along great with just about everything. (I wouldn't recommend putting it on cereal or anything like that, but basically everything else is a go.)
Not only is it super easy, it's also very pretty!
TIP: This recipe does make quite a lot. If you'd like, just halve all of the ingredients to make a smaller batch.
Poor and Vegan Pico de Gallo
- 4 Large Tomatoes, Seeds Removed
- 1 Green Pepper, Seeds Removed
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers, Seeds Removed
- 1 Large Red Onion
- 2 Small Cucumbers
- Splash of Lemon or Lime Juice
- Optional: One Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- Dice and de-seed tomatoes, green pepper, and jalapenos.
- Peel and dice onion and cucumbers.
- Combine all in large bowl; Mix.
- Add small splash of lemon or lime juice, and (optional) cilantro.